Monday, January 26, 2009

God says we are idiots

Maybe God isn't saying that to us, but could he? Yesterday we spent maybe 4 hours just chatting we someone we love dearly. He's the Best man at our wedding and he is a couple of years older than us, about 10, and bit more for me. It was a very cool afternoon when we were just lying in the couch talking about anything. At some point the conversation turned into kids and adoption. He was telling us what he knew about it since a friend of his was adopting. DH has talked about adoption and was very surprised when I told him it takes time and probably more than $10,000. Assuming we had the money, part of me wonders if I would treat this adopted child differently. Would I consciously or unconsciously give him more attention? And then there's the fact that some things come with his/her genes. Would I have the same tolerance and patience to deal with these things? He mentioned an example of a couple who adopted and in one psychiatric evaluation of this little girl it turns out the she has the qualities of a serial killer! WTF? This is just plain scary to know about an 8 year old.

Other things mentioned were examples of adopting parents who actually "preferred" the adopted child rather than the biological ones. One parent left his money to the adopted children because he said his biological ones had no choice but to love him, but the adopted ones didn't, and they did. A mom said the adopted daughter was the one she longed for the most (she got pregnant after adopting). And here's where the topic turns a bit emotional for me. He says, "the same could happen to you guys. This second child you have been trying to conceive for a year has been desired/longed more than with Pumpkin. With Pumpkin you just took a pill and got pregnant. But not this one."

I've had a prescription for pills since July. Yes, it could mean that it's not our time to get pregnant. But it could also be God's way of telling us: "you idiots! You have a prescription in your hands. Help me out a little bit here!". Obviously I don't know that. But I could have gotten pregnant just as easily with Baby #2 as I did with Pumpkin. It doesn't mean that I desire more this second child, it might be just stubbornness! So that's my rant. Offended about how this thought could pass through someone's mind. Anyway, tomorrow I have an appointment with my OB/GYN since my cycles have been totally wacko. Not sure what I am expecting to hear but I figured I should get this checked out. More to come...

No comments: