Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Am I a Real Mom?

Is there such a things as a definition of what a mom is? Or what are the minimum requirements you need to have to be considered one?

Here's the deal. A couple of us where in a meeting, a casual meeting in which we talk more crap than actual work, but that's how it's been done for 17 years so it works. Then the ladies start asking my friend when or if she will have another baby (her little one is 4 months). I was surprised with the question because she and her husband have always said it would ONLY be one kid. So I asked if they pictured me with another child, and the response was pretty much: no. One even said she was surprised I had one! I mean, WTF? How am I supposed to interpret this?

Now because of that conversation I feel like I am doubting myself... what do people see in me? Or maybe, what is it they don't see? What am I lacking that makes people think that I am not maternal, or something like that?

I thought I was doing OK... she looks presentable, smart (in my very humble opinion), cute, social, funny, etc.... I decided to mention this to my husband, and this is what he had to say: First of all, you need to take things according to the person who said it. For some reason he knew who the person was (smart ass!). He also said, I am not normal. "Normal"... meaning, I don't like things most moms do, like birthday parties! Or like I am not making a big fuss about EVERY. SINGLE. THINGS. SHE DOES. But is this suppose to comfort me, and make me feel better? And lastly, he said it doesn't matter what people think (duh!), but it is up to me to feel, be and present myself as the super mom that I am.

But really, how silly am I to allow someone (who by the way, is not a mom) tell me what a mother is or isn't. How can I let someone's comment get in the way of what is my important job today: being with my daughter and raising her to be a generous, independent human being. Yeah, I have some work to do. But damn it, I am doing f%&*ing well!

P.S. Almost forgot... he also said I was a hot mom and they were jealous. I know he was trying to score some major brownie points, but it was sweet.

No comments: