Monday, November 2, 2009

New license adventure

This year not only marked my 30th birthday, but also the time to renew my license. They recently changed them to look more like the ones our fellow American citizens have. The rest of the world thought the previous license was fake. THAT'S how cheap looking it was.

My SIL suggested I tried filling out the paperwork at an office where she did hers and were very fast. We take the train and then the receptionist gave me a list of all the documents I needed to bring: pictures, passport, birth certificate, utilities bills (to prove you live where you say). Great. I decide to return the next day with everything I need. Again, take the train, get there. It turns out I also need my social security card. Really?

I was fuming. Went home, get the damn social security card and return to the office. I finally have everything I need. Not only that, but my purse is an identity theft waiting to happen. Everything you might need would be right there at your fingertips. When the time comes for the picture, they have a paper that says: Do not smile. Just reading it makes me crack up. Needless to say your picture ends up with your face deformed and showing how happy you are to be there for the third time. I think I'd rather have the cheap looking license where I am smiling.

No comments: